Articles

Monday, August 27, 2007

Lessons from toilets, transport in Hong Kong

Lessons from toilets, transport in Hong Kong
ON A recent three-week trip to Hong Kong, I noticed many changes there compared to my last trip six years ago.
For one thing, I was impressed by the cleanliness of the toilets in the airport, shopping centres, hotels and restaurants. Most now have automatic, hands-free taps, flush and soap dispensing systems. This is very hygenic as it greatly minimises contact and spread of germs. In addition, hand dryers-cum- hand towels are available in most toilets.

What impressed me most was that most restaurants (fast-food chains like McDonald's included) provide wet tissues for every patron.

To reduce traffic congestion in Singapore, there may be other ways besides increasing the number of ERP gantries. This is one area where we can learn from Hong Kong's efficient MTR system.

It has many stops, and each one comes with many sheltered underground exits (some stations have as many as 10). This makes it very convenient for commuters to reach their destination, rain or shine. Indeed, one need not walk far to reach an MTR stop.

Besides, waiting time for trains is about three minutes, even during off-peak hours.

I travelled in Hong Kong widely during my stay and I realised there are few private cars on the roads compared to Singapore. I mainly saw buses, taxis and trams. The MTR is the most popular choice of transport.

I am not downplaying the strengths of our MRT. In fact, when I was in Hong Kong, I missed the convenience of toilets at every MRT stop. Hong Kong's MTR does not have toilets and the stations have wide platform gaps. But if we can incorporate the merits of others in our own system, we can really be on our way to reaching our goal of having a world-class transport system.


Elizabeth Ng Boon Kwan (Mrs)



I am not downplaying the strengths of our MRT. But if we can incorporate the merits of others in our own system, we can really be on our way to reaching our goal of having a world-class transport system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home