Articles

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Wise enough to know that health is wealth

Mrs Eunice Tay, 57, has a tough road ahead, rebuilding the National Kidney Foundation. The CEO tells Judith Tan how she copes with the pressures of the job and looks after her own well-being.

Yours is a business that is steeped in charity. And often people say getting others to donate for a good cause can be stressful. What is your secret to coping with the pressures?
The piano. I play it to detox and if I need a bigger dose, I play it and sing along. After the third song, my husband reluctantly gives up whatever he is doing and asks, 'Would you like to talk about it, dear?'

You are the CEO of NKF and you have the well-being of all on your mind, especially the beneficiaries. How do you find time for your own well-being?
My friends know me to be a health nut - the rice that I eat would be brown, the bread, wholegrain, I drink ionised water that I take from home to the office every day and have gallons of it a day.

I do the occasional aqua running, I detox, I find reading relaxing, I have a wonderful family and lots of friends whom I make time for...I think I do okay on the well-being scorecard, don't you?

As the adage goes, lonely is the head that wears the crown. Does that apply to you?
I don't think I'm in that situation. I don't 'wear a crown and lead'. It's about connecting with your people so that they are not only 'for you' but 'with you'. I take time to connect with my staff consistently through in-house relationship-building activities I have introduced at the NKF.

If I do not take the time to connect, I will not be able to lead them effectively. This is something I have learnt from author John C. Maxwell.

Taking over the helm of NKF, did you ever think 'what big shoes' that you'd have trouble filling?
I'm a size 5-and-a-half, so why would I want to wear anything else? I wear comfortable yet pretty shoes and am always sure to walk in the path that leads me to attaining my goals in life.

Is it important that successful people give back to the community?
I think anyone, in their own way, can give back to the community, not only the successful. But successful people, I imagine, have more resources to give. So everyone, start giving what you can: your money, your time, your skills, your care, your concern, your kindness, your support, your smile, your thoughts.....get the drift? No need to think about saving the whole world. Start with small gestures to one person - and I don't mean yourself!

Prefer ruling with an iron fist or being consultative?
As a rule, my preferred modus operandi is with a consultative fist! Ask my colleagues or simply check them for bruises.

Ever need time out?
For me, time out means a time for reflection. I usually do this before the end of every year. I take this time to review different aspects of my life - spiritual life, career, family life, et cetera.

Do you believe in the concept of 'superwoman'?
Got such a thing as 'superwoman' meh? How come no one told me?

Being mindful about staying healthy, how do you stay fit?
To me, keeping fit is about eating right. I like my food, but I eat moderately and I try to eat healthy versions of the food I like. If I cannot get healthy food commercially, I make them myself, like my salad dressing called vinaig-tay.

Then is keeping fit a pleasure or penance?
Pleasure, of course - pay attention and read my answer to the question above.

Ever get intimidated by age?
Instead of counting the years, I make all my years count. As long as I have physical and mental strength, I will continue to work heartily and be spiritually productive through active service. To me, growing older means growing in grace.

What about mid-life crisis? Been there yet?
Will let you know when I get there!

Any favourite vices?
I love to scare people with my elephantine memory - to see the shock and disbelief on their faces when I recount to them in vivid and the minutest detail things that happened long ago - priceless!

What is your biggest health scare?
It was my doctors who got a scare when they saw my blood test results - I am so healthy it seems, that it will take an accident or a calamity rather than illness to kill me off.

Then which would you prefer - being healthy, wealthy or wise?
I am wise enough to know that health is wealth. As for wisdom, my daily prayer is that I be given a smidgen of what King Solomon was given.

If you could change one part of your life, what would it be?
When I grow up, I would like to be 'superwoman'!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home